Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Imagery Paragraph


Looking for Alaska: page 7

"God, we'll miss you," mom said suddenly, stepping through the minefield of suitcases to get to the bed. I stood and hugged her. My dad walked over, too, and we formed a sort of huddle. It was too hot, and we were too sweaty for the hug to last terribly long. I knew I ought to cry, but I'd lived with my parents for sixteen years, and a trail separation seemed overdue.

1.) Why did you select this particular passage? Why did it appeal to you?

I found it hard to find a passage in the book I am currently reading, Looking for Alaska, with really descriptive imagery. Though I thought this paragraph did a pretty good job. When I read it I was able to picture the whole situation, from the minefield of suitcases to the overly sweaty hug, and you could feel the situation too, the heat, the sweat, the sadness the family is feeling. It appealed to me because I think John Green, the author did a good job of making you feel like you were really there, or as if you were watching the whole situation. 

2.) What type of imagery is most common in the passage?

I believe the most common type of imagery represented in this passage is visuals. The way John Green has written it I feel asthough I can literally see the whole situation play out, from the very beginning to the very end. 

3.) What is the best snippet of imagery within this passage? Why is it so effective?

"stepping through the minefield of suitcases to get to the bed. I stood and hugged her. My dad walked over, too, and we formed a sort of huddle. It was too hot, and we were too sweaty for the hug to last terribly long."
I know this is the majority of the passage but it all connects to well. I believe it was the most effective because it give you an understanding of everything, the setting, the emotions, the expressions on there faces, the temperature, the sweat covering their bodies. It helps you see the room, see the characters, and feel what they are feeling. 

4.) Is the imagery positive or negative? How do you know? Give some words as examples to support this.  
AND
5.) What mood/emotion is being created by the author in this passage? How do you know?

I would think the imagery is positive, the passage doesn't make you feel awkward, or scared, or worried. To me it makes you feel included, or sympathy for the family. I know this because you get a really good sense of the emotion in this passage, a mix of sadness and excitement. "God, we'll miss you" followed by the huddled group huh shows sadness from everyone and maybe even worry from the mother. Though when Miles says "I knew I ought to cry, but I'd lives with my parents for sixteen years, and a trail separation seemed overdue" shows that he does show sadness, but excitement at the same time. To me, sadness and excitement are positive images for an author to express. 

6.) What is the purpose of this piece of imagery?

I believe the purpose of this piece of imagery is to interperate Miles' transition from his home in Florida to going to Culver Creek school in Alabama, and the emotions, and actions that were shown in his last few minutes that he would spend with his parents for quite a while. 







No comments:

Post a Comment